kansascitydatingservice com - 1840 1929 dating old photograph

On part of the land the hospital was begun in 1860, and Chalmers Street was formed on part of the ground which was then feued for housing development. Work began in 1861 to erect a hospital with 48 beds in four wards.

The polished ashlar exterior was considered to secure the building from impurities.

1840 1929 dating old photograph-42

The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948, but closed in 1989.

In the 1990s the site was redeveloped for housing, retaining the former lodge.

The central block contained the staff accommodation and Nightingale-style wards were in the wings – these were built over an open basement to allow air to circulate and prevent damp.

Between the wards and the central block were large open staircases, and the wards themselves were 54ft by 25ft and 16ft high, with a fireplace and a range of five windows on each side. The cost, including the layout of the grounds was a little over £7,000.

Bruntsfield Lodge, and converted it into an eighteen-bed general hospital for women.

In the same year Dr Elsie Inglis and the Medical Women’s Club opened a seven-bed hospital which was later known as the Hospice. A new ward block was added to the complex, designed by Arthur Balfour Paul, which was opened by Queen Mary on 18 July 1911. 1 Bruntsfield Crescent, which had been owned by Professor James Lorimer, father of one of the best known of Scottish architects, Sir Robert Lorimer.The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and latterly was used as a convalescent home mostly for elderly patients.It closed in 1989-90 and returned to private ownership.George Chalmers (1773‑1836), a plumber in Edinburgh, left the residue of his estate, amounting to around £30,000, to the Dean and Faculty of Advocates for the purpose of founding a ‘New Infirmary or Sick and Hurt Hospital’.In 1854, once the funds had accumulated to £70,000, Lauriston Housewas purchased with seven and a half acres of land behind it extending down to the meadows.The Library has been divided into sections such as Parish Register Transcripts, Monumental Inscriptions, Family Trees & Pedigrees, Wills, and Village Information, all of which can be searched separately.

Tags: , ,